Friday, May 21, 2010

Expotition to Carlsbad: Prologue

If you're confused as to why I'm spelling "expedition" wrong, curl up with your favorite childhood toy and click here. :)

Hello and welcome to my blog about my adventures to, in, around, and from Carlsbad! I would like to warn those of you unaccustomed to reading my writing that I often ramble and I can't really summarize well.

An explanation of the title and of this blog:
As most of you know, I'm a dual citizen of the U.S. and Canada, and even though I was born in sunny (and rainy and earthquakey and firey) northern California, I've lived most of my life in Michigan, and I love snow just as much as I love avocados. Crazy, eh? Well, that's just the beginning. This summer I'm moving to the hot arid climate of southeast New Mexico, to the city of Carlsbad. From what I've heard and read, it's...well, imagine Houghton, only instead of snow and cold, you've got sand and hot. Keep the wind, and keep the nothing to do, and keep the fact that you are pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Now add in the political climate of Saline, only with some actual diversity in the form of tons of Mexicans. There you go. Carlsbad in a nutshell.

Except I don't actually know how it is yet, because I'm not there yet. I can't really believe that there's nothing to do, because there's at least two big parks within a short drive, and, well, I'm kind of a nature dork who loves to explore. What I worry more about is whether my crazy liberalness will get me in trouble. ;)

I leave early this Sunday morning on what will certainly be a grand adventure. I'll take about 4 days to get down to Carlsbad, stopping in smallish cities, each a little over 400 miles from the next. I would say that it'll be the longest road trip of my life - except that 15 years ago, I rode in a carseat from Napa, CA to Paw Paw, MI in the backseat of Silver. Yes, Silver, the car I drove up until a week ago. :) Don't worry - I have a newer car now. It's so cool to have a car that moves when the engine revs, hehe.

And to those relatives who are reading this: yes, Boo Boo is coming with me. To my friends: Boo Boo is my teddy bear. Yes, I still take my old teddy bear with me when I'm away from home for a while. :P

I'll try to update this each night on my way down there, and I'll try to update regularly once I'm settled in my apartment, but I can't guarantee anything. Until next time, you can entertain yourself with this video and this video of the Bat Cave in Carlsbad Caverns National Park. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Well, at least I can be reassured that Boo Boo is with you on your grand adventure!!! I will always remember with fond horror the level of tantrum you had before your mom gave in and we stopped for a leisurely breakfast one day on the road from California to Michigan with Silver (and Boo Boo of course) so that you could eat pancakes formed like Mickie Mouse's face at a restaurant. But then, you came by that ability to erupt like a volcano naturally, I am well aware of that! (-Just kidding big sister, lol.)

    ReplyDelete