A case study of how a snow-loving liberal nerdy chick from the boonies adapts to life in a small city in the middle of the desert.
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
Arrival
I'm in Carlsbad in a spiffy hotel. Yay. I also have an apartment which has all the essentials but it will take some work to make it feel like home. I'll move into the apartment tomorrow. I'll post later with more details but right now I'm just too tired. It's been a long day.
I'm currently a first-year graduate student at UMass Amherst in Polymer Science and Engineering (PSE). I graduated from the University of Michigan in 2011 with a B.S.E. in Materials Science and Engineering. ("cum laude" which means "You did better than we expected you to, but not as well as all your classmates you studied with that are going on to bigger and better things. You know, the ones that helped you along.") My main interests lie in a strange grey area between materials, chemistry, and biology. Optimally I'd like to wind up in a lab researching biodegradable polymers so there's not as much trash piling up everywhere. In the summer of 2010, I was in Carlsbad, NM for an internship with Sandia National Laboratories, and enjoyed taking hundreds of pictures of my adventures.
So happy our girl is finally there. Love, the Mom
ReplyDelete